Mega Man 1 and 2 Review

Blasted through these on the weekend, I'm surprised I managed to beat them after having a hard time getting anywhere in Mega Man ages ago, I think something about timing must have clicked recently.

 Mega Man
Mega Man is a game I've been meaning to beat ever since I played it a few years ago, I think I got to a boss once but I was so low on health and lives that I died shortly after.
The story line is a pretty basic "Beat the bad guys to save the world" kind of thing but it gets the job done because it's much more about the gameplay.



I started playing it again recently and I found it easier but the challenge is still there and I definitely died a lot.
The platforming can be rather difficult with the various hazards and enemies that will knock you back in the air and most likely into a pit.
Enemies also like to spawn based on your position and will frequently respawn when you move backwards and forwards, this can't even be abused for health because the drop rate is so low.

The graphics and sound are great for a high quality NES game but there is quite a bit of slowdown and sprite flickering which can make some of the boss battles more difficult than they need to be.

Overall it's a decent game but a bit too difficult for my tastes and the graphical glitches make it pretty horrible to look at, I'd give it a 7/10.

Mega Man 2
Mega Man 2 is a much needed improvement on the first, the levels have a much nicer flow, the enemies aren't repeatedly spawning because you accidentally moved a few steps back and the bosses actually feel fair.

The basic story is pretty much the same but you are against different enemies this time and the final level is longer with more stages.
Nothing too complex and once again it allows the game to just simply get on with the gameplay.

The overall gameplay is vastly improved, most of the irritating enemy spawns are gone, platforming is much smoother and the bosses actually feel like a proper boss fight.
The ammo and health drops are also a lot more common so you don't need to worry so much about dodging every attack, there's even health tanks which you can find to use in emergency situations.

They also added a password save system which I didn't need to use but useful even if it does mean writing down a long code.
Only problem I had with it was the one hit kill obstacles, the weapon menu which was annoying to navigate and a lot of the guns felt gimmicky until you use them in the boss fights to exploit their weaknesses.

The graphics are improved subtly but rather nicely, all the small touches like the waterfall in Bubble Man's level and various new enemies make it look a lot nicer even though it's still a NES game.
The flicker and slowdown has been greatly reduced which makes the game a lot nicer to play and look at as well.
The soundtrack is slightly better than the previous game but the sounds are the same.

Overall I'd give it a 8/10 for all the improvements it has over the original.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Returning to dev on Super Mansion Quest

Scourge of Tethys Updates

Accomplishments & Goals