I'm working on a game!

Over the last few weeks I've been working on a top down action adventure game, inspired by games like The Legend of Zelda. If you follow me on twitter and missed the original few tweets and the few screenshots I've posted you've probably been wondering what the hell I've been talking about.



The main character is a maid because I like the look of the outfits, so I decided to build the story and character around that. She's mainly inspired by characters from various anime series and Sakuya Izayoi from the Touhou series.
She'll be able to use a variety of melee and gun based weapons along with a few cleaning tools for puzzles and boss fights.

The story isn't really a priority at the moment and is subject to change but it currently involves the main character fighting demons and the undead to rescue her master who is at the top of the mansion in some room.

I'm currently working towards making a small representation of the game which I'll hopefully release in a few weeks for feedback. After that I'll hopefully have enough behaviours required to build a few more areas, then I'll start doing fortnightly releases for feedback and bugtesting.

I'm currently building it in Stencyl which is a flash game engine based on Flixel and has the codeblocks of Scratch. I've used it before for an attempted game but I didn't get very far with that project.
It took a while to get back into it and I didn't really know how to make behaviours on my own so I spent a lot of time searching for answers on google.

This didn't really get me many results because the forums are full of unanswered questions and the development of the 3.0 version means they don't pay much attention to people using 2.2 (at least it seems that way).
Once I started to understand some of the logic this became less of a problem and I have been able to implement a few features by myself instead of relying on google searches.

If I do hit any major roadblocks in the future though I am planning on moving to Construct 2 as a bunch of local people are using it and they say the documentation and community is really good.

Here's a screenshot of what the game currently looks like, everything is placeholder graphics I drew to just represent what it needed to, it will improve drastically once I have actually made all of the levels and finalised the monsters, otherwise I will just be spending a lot of time drawing and redrawing graphics to make sure everything stays consistent which will hold up my progress on everything else.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Returning to dev on Super Mansion Quest

Scourge of Tethys Updates

Accomplishments & Goals